Soil erosionl

    Salient Achievements  
    From sponsored projects (April to July 2011)  

Molecular approach to improve Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Rice (GSS Indraprastha University)

  •  Twenty three cultivars of rice were obtained from DRR (Directorate of Rice Research), Hyderabad out of which six varieties with > 96% germination were selected for further experiments. Germination studies revealed that N could significantly delay the kinetics of germination in a cultivar-dependent manner.

Watersheds with focus on groundnut and pigeonpea in the Indian SAT (ICRISAT)

  •  Gridded daily data on maximum temperature, minimum temperature and rainfall for the period 1971-2005 was procured from the IMD and computer programs developed for converting the binary gridded data in to text format and data retrieved.
  • Watersheds in Gulbarga (village: Farhatabad) and Jamnagar (village: Motavadala) districts were selected for participatory trials on pigeonpea and groundnut. Finalized the experimental layouts at ICRISAT as well as at the two on-farm locations

Plant-pollinator interactions in mango, onion and watermelon (IIHR)

  • Off-season surveillance of pollinators in mango has been carried out in an organically maintained and undisturbed orchard of variety ‘Totapuri’ which revealed that honey bees (Apis florea, Apis cerana), and butterflies (species to be identified) are major foragers on weed species (Tridox sp.) while syrphids and calliphorids were found on fallen fruits and some leaves of mango with honeydew
  • Based on preliminary observations, the number of bees going out to forage was maximum between 10 am and 11am (38.55/5 minutes) and activity has significantly decreased on rainy days.

Climatic Change on Inland Aquaculture in Selected Districts of West Bengal (University of Kalyani)

  • A Field survey was done in 40 different ponds located in two selected districts (East Midnapore and Nadia) of West Bengal for water quality, carbon status and algal composition which indicated that more than 85% of the total number of ponds were moderately alkaline with pH ranging from 7.1 to 8.2, whereas remaining 15% ponds were with high alkaline range, implying that carbon sequestration is low in these ponds.

Aquaculture Strategies for Sagar & Basanti Blocks of Indian Sundarban (West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences)  

  •  Trial initiated to assess the salinity tolerance limits (both Acute Salinity Tolerance & Chronic Salinity Tolerance) for few commercial fish species. Recording of hydrological parameters of the creek water adjoining to the field station at Sagar island is in progress. Fishes are being stocked at four experimental ponds of Sagar as a part of trial study.
  • Format/Questionnaire for base line survey of practicing fish farmers about climate change impact on aquaculture in the project area has been developed and the survey will start soon. 

Climate change impact in arid ecosystem (CAZRI)

  • Twenty two varieties of ber responded differently with respect to shoot initiation after pruning under different thermal loads. Gola was first to sprout followed by Tikadi, Illaichi and Bagwari under high thermal load. ZG-3, Kali,Thornless, Dandan and Chuhara took comparatively more days to sprout indicating their sensitivity to high temperature which prevented them to sprout during second half of June when temperature was high.

Small ruminant production under changing climatic conditions in semi arid zone (CSWRI)

  • Twenty four healthy adult Malpura ewes were randomly divided into two groups. The control animals were maintained under shed, while stressed animals were subjected to heat stress by exposing them to average ambient temperature of 42-46oC (direct solar radiation) for 6 hours per day for 35 days and remaining 7 days both groups were maintained in animal shed to study the recovery from heat stress.
  • Body Weight (BW), Body Condition Score (BCS), Respiration Rate (RR), Pulse Rate (PR), Rectal Temperature (RT), Sweating Rate (SR), Feed and Water Intake, Estrus  Percentage, Estrus Duration, Estrus Interval, Haemoglobin (Hb), Packed Cell Volume (PCV), Plasma Glucose, Total plasma Protein, Urea , BUN, Total plasma Cholesterol, T3  and T4, Cortisol, Estradiol, and Progesterone were  monitored and results are under compilation.
  • Survey of different districts of Rajasthan was carried out to assess the quality of water available for livestock.
©Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture, All Rights Reserved